what to ware??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by single cam, Dec 27, 2007.

1. single cam

single cam Lov'in my new BOW

HI got a question. what would you wear to bow hunt in the bad lands in western ND I am not used to hunting this late in the season and only have my fall camo and such. So advice would be great

Also what would you use for cover sents or just go sentless

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

First of all :welcome: to the forum. What kind of temperatures are you talking about ? I am not familiar with the terrain in ND. I am not big on using cover scents or deer scents. I prefer to be as scent free as I can and make sure you hunt the wind...:rockon:

3. single cam

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Well lets think about it from a financial stand point...

at 24 degrees or below you are going to have on a very heavy outer layer coat unless you are spot/stalking.

You'll want something that you can use through all the seasons if possible in a camo pattern that will work through all seasons. Buying multiple outer layers can get pricey very quickly.

if the area is mostly non-tree then maybe invest in a blind instead of new coats? Or place yourself in trees that have back cover or bushes behind you so that you have something to break up your pattern.

Do you have any pics of the area you will be hunting?

5. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Big D a fellar could git some type of mesh outer camo and ASAT make a 3d leafy and asta stands fer all season all terrain
    this stuff works great in tha green woods and the brown woods I saw a pic of advertising where they was in rocks and you could hardly tell they was there. I am tellin' ya its great camo especially in conjunction with astkos uv hider. another great product that's hides the uv that looks like a blue lite to deers.,uvs
    Natural gear is the only one that does not hare uv's in the material to attract us to its nice color.:biggrin1:

6. When I hunt I like to stalk so it can mean alot of walking, for that reason I like to dress in layers instead of 1 or 2 heavy layers. Even if the temp is below 32 and windy, when you are walking you get warm fast and you will want to remove some of your clothes. When I go hunting I always wear a water proof outer layer jacket, it keeps the cold wind out and then I put a few layers of warm clothing under it. I always carry a hydration type of back pack that I can always tie the layers I remove to it.
    I find one of best things to wear in the cold under any type of jacket/coat in realy cold weather is a good vest, it will help keep your body warm with out putting extra bulk on your arms that could get in the way of your shooting.

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Good point, I forgot about the "cover camo". My dad has a set for winter snow hunting... works good. Just make sure you get it big enough to go over your coat

8. single cam

just picked up some of this pattern http://ghostcamo.com/imageview.asp?file=prairie_field.jpg this is just like our area. also I picked up a lite set of 5pocket pants and a fall level jacket both of which I can layer under as this is for spot and stalk and not stand hunting I have my old gear from MN north woods for that.

9. this is the pattern my brother used this year and it really blends in.

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Nice!

Thats a great pattern another i use is leafyware in 4-D and the gillysuit is awesome when workin on the ground with no trees.
    As far as cover scent i would use scent-eliminator earth it works everywhere for me but i wouldnt use any animal scent in windy weather unless the ruts on (which its not) this time of year.
    Hope this helps.
    :welcome: 2 the forum, keep the wind in your face, and good luck!:wave:

11. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

:welcome: I like the over suit of ASAT camo. I have used it all over and it seems to blend in no matter where I go. You can hide in hard woods to open fields to rocky cliffs. This stuff really works, check out the web site.

Nice to have you join up