whats a fair price ?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by upnorth, May 16, 2008.

1. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

just made up 24 maxima 350 hunters for a customer . all 24 are within 2.5 grains , all have been squared both ends of the arrow and also the insert is squared . first rounds the largest span between two arrows in a 12 arrow batch was just under two inches and the other group had 11 under 2 with one flyer out another inch. after tuning all 24 tuned on the hooter shooter they cut one hole( about 1 1/2 arrow wide) at 23 yards . it took 67 shots to get them wright . just under two miles of walking back and forth .what do you think its worth ?

2. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

More that I can afford!!!!

:noidea: :noidea: :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

3. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

If you have a fair hourly rate, I would charge that for all the time spent over and above what you normally spend finishing two dozen arrows. If someone is that picky with their hunting arrows, I figure they should be willing to pay for it. Personally, anything I want done that is time consuming, I've learned to do myself.

4. JDX--

JDX-- Member

UPNORTH

That is a very good question when it comes to a lot of detail and time trying to perfect ones equipment it becomes more then just good service.

One quick question this is if you feel that your amount of expertise with the hooter is valid.
    Can you truly tune a bow and or arrows to group at 23 yards and say it’s perfect for a setup that would be shooting out to say102 yards.
    The reason I asked is that I had one of mine ran thru a hooter at 25 yards and I still think that there was improvement that needed to be address yet, even though it was looking great at 25.
    I can see this be a big plus for indoors and close range equipment but I would think a person would have to work at this with the hooter at say 40 yards if possible or go back to the methods of tuning well at the longer distances.

Upnorth what’s your opinions and thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Jeff

5. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

IMHO, it all depends on expectations. If someone came to you and said they wanted bullet hole arruacy at 23 yards no matter the cost...then you should charge as has been recommended....a fair hourly rate. As has also been suggested, your hourly rate should be directly related to your level of competency (i.e. if you're very quick and can do it in 20 minutes...your hourly rate is worth more than someone that takes a full hour to do the same job).

If the customer simply said I want accurate arrows for X-purpose, then you have to compare it to the market for similar quality product. If he's seen arrows that are ALMOST on par quality-wise for $200 per dozen...and yours are going to cost him $350 for only a marginal difference...he's probably going to have a cow.

Always consider the tiple constraint (as with project management). Time, Cost, Quality. You can only have it "your way" on two of them...and the other will always balance them out. i.e. Can do the job fast and to a high level of quality, but it's going to cost a fortune. If you want it cheaper either the quality or the time it's going to take to get the job done will decrease to compensate.

That said, I've seen top comp arrows go for up to $400 per dozen here, but I don't know the tolerances on them (and arrows tend to be overpriced over here).

The other option is to talk it over with the customer. Explain that you tools $X worth of materials and spent Y hours getting them perfectly tuned beyond what it'd normally take to make a set of arrows. Your shop rates are usually $Z per hour and that equals some huge $$. Just confirm that's what he wanted, he's happy to pay that amount...and if not offer to negotiate a bit with him until you're both happy. At least that way he knows you care that he's happy, and also need to make a few. Just an idea.

6. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

its set up to shoot out to 38 yards . i did my arrows the other day at 20 yards had them all going in the same hole . then for the heck of it i shot them at 38 yards , without pulling any . i had seven arrows. all seven were touching couldn't believe i only had one cracked nock no flyers .still learning the machine have only had it for a couple months .but have already learned quite a bit .not doing alot with bows yet other than checking timing . but the people I've done arrows for say they can tell the difference .