whats up with that?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by hardknocks32, Jan 8, 2007.

1. hardknocks32

hardknocks32 Junior Member

i've been using some new expandable broadheads i got before the season started i have been having a lot of trouble with them i killed one deer with them and it went downhill from there. i lost 2 deer with the same broadheads after that, one nice 8-pointer and trophy 12 both deer the shots were placed well but there was no blood trail and on the 8 the arrow actually hit a rib and bounced back out of the animal. has anyone else had problems with these types of broadheads or is it just me?:doh:

2. what are they called? i have only shot 1 buck,but i have harvested plenty o doe,and last year i was useing expandale blades (dont remember the name) and it went in and bounced back out the blood trail was little searched for 2 days never found her:noidea: .i know i hit her good becuase she drop in her tracks 3 times.the 3rd time i thought was it,wrong! she got up and that was the last i seen her.after that i wont use expandable anymore.i'm sticking with muzzy!nver had a problem with them and they go right through bone.

3. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

I have had nothing but good things to say about expandables broadheads. I use the Rocket Mini-Blasters 4 blade 78 grain expand. Take a look at the hole it made in the following picture. Thats the entry wound, the exit is just as massive. Had a 3 foot wide blood trail (no really). Biggest thing on expandables is to have a cut on contact and good shot placement. Also, if your bow is shooting less than 260fps, I would recommend useing a fixed blade over an expandable. BTW, that deer dressed out at 206 lbs :biggrin1: Not a big rack but a mature deer for sure.

[​IMG]

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

ummm are you telling me that you lost 2 bucks and your claiming that you shot a buck and the arrow bounced off a rib?

HOW FAR ARE YOU SHOOTING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? with my KE I can put a target tip through a rib at 20+ yards (no never tried it but I know what I can do to a tree :laugh: )

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its impossibly but I'd like some more details about your setup and the shot. The only way I can say that I could see an arrow bouncing off a rib is if you shot straight down and it just glanced off the rib.

Also what type of broadheads are you shooting (expendable isn't a company). I've shot a doe with an expandable and it ripped the lung and heart out the other side.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, I agree. Something is not right. I've never used anything but expandables and have not had a problem.
    What brand/model are you using ?

Ron

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I am very sorry to hear of your lost deer that is never an easy thing to deal with. But I have never had a problem with an expandable. Oh wait I've never trusted them from the start and have never had any reason yet to switch from my Muzzy's. Stick with what works besides Muzzys are probably cheaper than your expandables anyway. Good luck in the future and buy yourself some Muzzys.:peace:

7. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

I Think Muzzy makes a fine Broadhead. But I have been using Rocket Sidewinders for several years as well as most of my Buddies and we have never lost a Deer and All shoots have been pass thru's. That includes going thru both sholders. These broadheads are 1 and 1/2 in of cut. I ama only shooting 57#'s @ 27 in of draw on my CSS Encore OS3 cam. I would think maybe something is wrong w/ the broadhead or setup IMHO.

8. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

I used rocket expandables on 2 deer. Complete pass through on both. How much poundage were you using?

9. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I hope your not using the turkey guillotine on them deer you're trying to shoot. As most know on this sight I started using the rage this year. Love them and will not switch. Amazing holes, amazing blood trail, quick recovery, and fly great.

10. olman

olman Member

Hey C&O,
    I've never been hunting yet, 1st full year in a bow minus 5 months of injury to my arm. I've been looking for a hunting head but not sure which to get into fixed or mechanicals & have looked at the rage, like what I see but have not heard too much either way about them except their own ads. It's good to hear someone say something about them, third party wise.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

there not wasp jackhammers by any chance are they????

just learn how to turn your bow and shoot fixed blade heads.....

12. hardknocks32

i've been using trophyridge expandables and yes the arrow bounced out i've never seen anything like it before and thats with a 74lb. draw at 17 yards i have switch to the new viper venom 2 blade with the new air foil blades the fly just like field points and i know i'll get a pass through because i shot them at a metal drum the other day just to make sure.:biggrin1:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you cant tease us like that w/o pics......:biggrin1:

14. hardknocks32

what do you use 100 gr or 125 gr

15. hardknocks32

i'll see if i can get a hold of a camera for you but its no joke they're some bad heads and spin like a top:laugh:

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

not thinking it was a joke just wondering what kind of damge it did to the arrow.....see if its something I need to go try:peace:

17. hardknocks32

i would say it is worth a try i mean crap they only cost me $20 at academy sports and i can resharpen myself what a deal and also cabelas has the replacement blades right now for $5:rockon:

18. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I am so glad someone finnaly got around to this question. I am so sad for the lost of such big deers though. In my opinion these out to be outlawed. You never know what they will do. A good solid and fixed blade will never let you down. I went with Muzzy's this year after many years with thunderheads.Both have done me very well. Altough I do prefeer the Muzzy's . They seem to be easier to build.they are tough. Shot a 6 pointer quarting and it buried in the opposite shoulder and he ran for 100 yards and the thing was still intact. Being a past Master Instructor with IBEP Internation Bowhunter Education Progam we see the faliures of the expandables and preach on the fixed heads and rightly so. I'll ony have expandables when they quite making the fixed.
    My 2 cents worth. HS

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Are you sure the broad head didn't fall off? Maybe the deer is wearing armor? As long as their is a point on the arrow I can't understand how it could possibly "bounce off"

20. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Im with HS on this one, ive never been a fan of the expandable heads, the smaller ones seem to be ok, on deer and smaller game, just seems like theirs lots of problems with them one way or anouther. But theirs some guys who love them.... I for one am a fan of the montec b-52, its a solid 1 pc head, nothing to open, no blades to fall out, easy to get sharp. A buddy of mine started with them, and i tryed out a few of his, they fley sweet, the next day i traded in the thunderheads and havent looked back, Have taken 4 deer and a bull elk with them. major blood trail with the elk, and on the deer i saw all of them tip over, the last doe i shot, went 12 yards..... was a high double lung shot.. I like a head thats ready to cut when it gets where its going, not one that hasto open when it hits.....