Whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by poorshot, Aug 22, 2007.

1. poorshot

poorshot Senior Member

2 weeks ago I had my boys ages 5 & 6 to local pro shops. !st dealer didn't have any in kids bows stock. 2nd had a couple of nice kids bows, with a ton of adjustment. 1 was a Hoyt bow, the other had Pioneer on limbs. I had asked about the Genesis bow. He said that he would order it for me, but will not stock them. He claims that it can confuse young shooters. When I asked for specifics, he said it doesn't teach them a proper anchoring point. Made sense to me. What do you think?

2. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

The only bad thing on those Gensis is that the kids like to be able to pull it way past their ears. The best way to work on that is to make a draw stop.

I put duct tape on the cable slide bar to stop both of my kids (6 &10) from over drawing the bow... it seems to work fine. I have been planning on drilling and taping the bar to put a set screw in to stop the slide, but I can't find the time because I keep playing with my own bows. :noidea:

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yes it makes sense.......at 5 and 6 I probably wouldnt worry about it untill they area tad bit older....right know what you want is them to getout there and shoot.......

4. poorshot

poorshot Senior Member

Kids

For now they are shooting bows from Wallyworld. They are into it for about 15 mins. We had a 3D shoot at local club. After setting up targets I left them shoot at them. It was hot out. 1 wanted to quit after 6 targets so we left. I hope they take up archery, but if not I can live with that. I just bought a kids release for them. Have not tried it yet. Right now the biggest problem they have is wanting to get a big handful on string.

5. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

I got to agree w/ BOWMAN on this, At their age its more about fun and excitement, They'd be too excites to pay attention to all the proper mechanics or shooting form. Plus w/ the genesis you wont have to worry about them out growing the bow anytime soon.

6. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

I gotta go with Bowman on this one. Proper mechanics is great but if its not fun the mechanics wont matter.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and you can sell them pretty easy..........:noidea:

8. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Thats hog wash.. We teach youths from ages 4 to 16 with the Genesis. An anchor point is just what it means. all you are doing is pulling back till you reach your anchor point. All you have to do is show the child where his or her anchor point is. And work with them on anchoring that same point every time. Just like drawing a long bow. There's no draw stop. But you stop drawing when you hit you anchor. With there being no persay letoff on them its easier for them to work. We have kids that competed at vegas last year w/ the genesis. You can add draw stops if you want. But taught properly its not needed. Good luck!!!

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I agree with Bowman too...:doh:

Don't get worry about form just yet...get them shooting, teach them safety, and let it be fun...:peace:

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Just have fun and the Genesis is a great bow for that.

I think someone just recently shot one in a 3D shoot............bowman.:peace:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I want you all to stop it right now, what are you doing agreeing w/me....

I forgot to add, if you can get the genisis out of your kids hands, they are great fun for you to play w/also.........

12. Joe_P.

Joe_P. Senior Member

Both of my sons shot Genesis bows, my 9 year old still does. Jay Are's idea of a draw stop sounds like good advise. My older son who is 10, shoots a Diamond Edge, I am impressed how well made it is. I added kisser buttons to their bows, just to give them an extra step to do before they take the shot. It seems to slow them down a few seconds, before they rush the shot off.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  13. Buckwheat

Buckwheat Member

I have to agree with Bowman to. I started my son out with a bow from BPS called "Just Like Dads" at age 6. I just let him shoot as long as he stayed intrested. I just wanted him to have fun, but you have to mix form and proper bow handleing in with the fun. I go by the motto:" Teach them while they are young." If you do it this way you don't have to worry about them later on down the road.:usa:

14. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

Go look into a Darton Ranger.....they have a ton of adjustment

I think they go down to about 15 pound and go all the way up to 45 pounds

The draw length range is I think all the way up to 27 inch

All adjustments are e-z to make.

They are the real deal, My kid is getting ready to shoot her first deer with one.

15. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

Just yet them have fun first don't worry about form more on safety I feel as they grow and shoot more and see how you shoot they will start to ask and try new things