When do duck for cover?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dooby, May 6, 2008.

1. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

There's a guy at our local club who's a bit of a speed freak with a 25x scope on his bow. His rig is a Hoyt ProElite and he shoots with a MASSIVE overdraw. He said he has a 30" draw and shoots 27" arrows!?

I was near him while he was shooting...and let me just say that I SWEAR it sounds like he's dry firing that bow when he lets it go. It has to be the loudest bow...and has the most audible shock I've ever seen.

Since I've read good reviews of the Hoyt, I'm guessing it's his arrow choice. I've decided to stay away...I'm waiting for his limbs to burst into many tiny pieces every time he lets go.

So, do you think I'm worried about it for nothing? Is it reasonable when you're firing 5gn per # pull arrows to have that loud "thwunk" and "boing" when you release?

Also, what's the most dangerous thing YOU'VE seen at your clubs or in the woods?

2. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

I have to say I have never seen anything dangerous at our club.

3. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Just last Sunday I shot behind a guy who had just bought an 80# Hoyt. He said that the dealer didn't really tell him what he should be getting or help him set it up too much. He was shooting 26" CX Maxima's with 100 gr. tips. That puts his arrow weight at right around 403 gr., and his bow definitely sounded like it. Noisiest bow I have ever heard. Sounded like it was coming un-manufactured every time he shot it.:dizzy:

The most dangerous thing I have seen at a club was when one had two targets set up fairly close together, being shot from two different directions so that when you went to recover your arrows from one, you were down range of the other. We immediately notified the club and they did move the target, but people had already shot through both of those targets and it could have been very bad.:mad:

In the woods: Well, lets just say they make the Orange Army wear blaze orange for a reason.:tape:

4. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

the only incident at my club was a guy shooting a 80 lb bow. he would let down a lot because he couldnt hold on target good. he had to let down so fast it would jerk the string out of his hand and the arrow would swing around and shoot left. of course with my luck I was the one shooting beside him. well about the fourth or fifth round his arrow hit my bow while I was at full draw. didnt do any damage but scared the crap out of me. he was told to crank it down or leave. he left

5. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

25X scope. is his bow mounted on a tripod.

6. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

No, but it has a big a big chunk of glass in it. I didn't want to have too close a look. I'm not sure I could hold my tongue after his first shot...6" behind my head while I was at full draw. THAT is how I know his bow sounded like it was coming apart....I almost ducked for cover. He has at least 30" of stab on it, too...so I wouldn't even hazard a guess at how much it weighs.

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Well for me it was back a few years. I was shooting with HCAman when his Martin Maverick string gave loose and I had to change my pants.:frusty:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I thought Darton made the Maverick??:dizzy:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

MOST TARGET HOYTS, sound like that......

10. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Oh they do not Rabbit....:censored:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

stand next to one, instead of behind it.......:wave:

12. Werd

Werd Senior Member

When I am shooting at a deer, you better be duckin', because it for dang sure isn't hitting them. But seriously, I have not seen anything "dangerous" at the shop. Only when a few amish get it, then it gets a wee bit scary.

13. rdnkgrl_robinhood

rdnkgrl_robinhood Senior Member

I am here to tell ya what, I just got my new pro elite and it the absolute quietest bow I have shot. And very very smooth.. So I would say it has to do with his set up and arrow choice. Depending on the weight, the overdraw, and the short arrows, he might as well be flingin toothpicks off his bow.

rdnkgrl_robinhood

14. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

That was sorta my thought. I'll bet he could get almost 380fps out of one of those little round ones that pointed on both ends. :lol:

So, your pro elite doesn't make a sorta...twang/boing sound when you shoot? What's your arrow weight & daw weight?

15. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Back in about '95 or '96 Martin did.

16. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Never had any reason to fear on any range. Was a little concerned when we were tracking a bear in Canada my cousin had shot with the bow. Had plenty guns backing us up as we tracked, but still. Never did find that one.:frusty:

17. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

When Slippy reaches full draw, I hit the trenches. :bowl:

18. rdnkgrl_robinhood

My draw weight is at 47.4 pounds and I am shooting easten 2312 X7's. I dont know what they weigh but they shoot very smooth, my bow barely makes a sound when I shoot. Its the best bow I've ever owned.

robinhood

19. Werd

Werd Senior Member

47 lbs. Man, that makes me feel like muscle man pullin' 72 lbs.

20. rdnkgrl_robinhood

Since I dont hunt, I really have a reason to shoot more weight. 47 is comfortable and I can shoot it all day long without strain so that keeps fun :)

rdnkgrl_robinhood