when do people grunt????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by lungbuster, Oct 11, 2006.

1. lungbuster

lungbuster Senior Member

I had a booner by me the other night and I grunted to try to get him to come in be misstake, away he went... So when does everone else grunt, what time of year, and how much???????I'll post a pic of this buck if I get him, he is a nice animal... good luck to all...

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

obviosly not right then.......

3. JVA54

JVA54 Member

I have used a grunt to call in a lot of deer, I don't remember ever spooking one.
    Don't give up on it, some times its the only way to get one close.
    I use a grunt all season long, usualy before and during rut is the best.
    How much depends on the deer, if he's a good ways off I try to watch his head and ears and call when he's got his head up because a lot of time they will not hear it. Call loud and alot when he's start coming just call enough to kept him coming.

4. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

i use a grunt when i don't feel like dragging one out of the woods. I've had bad luck with them. i know they work, but not for me

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

how is the buck to doe ratio....in your area?? Grunting is very hit and miss in my area also....and forget about rattiling ......

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I've never been overly successful with grunting either. Doe Bleets work much better. Ratling normally works much better.

7. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

i dont know what the doe to buck ratio is now, but it is still pretty hi. i was wondering if you guys use any deer scents or scent blockers.I've had deer come in with and with out them. i myself think i will save my scent cents and buy a six pack. Pepsi of course

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I wear scent lok and the new APX base layer has scent stop in it....I have used scent blocker clothing for the last five years and can see a huge difference in the quality of deer that i see......I have used attractent scents the last couple of years w/very hit and miss results......

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

by the way has anybody else been fooled by these 20-30 dollar a bottle scents.....Like high octane and high test from HSE or code blue.....luckily I work at a shop and get to try out this stuff for free.....I have heard of nothing but good about the james valley scents though and may get a bottle to try......

10. lungbuster

lungbuster Senior Member

scent blocker works

If u ask me I wil swear up and down how good scentblocker works.. I had a good weekend with it I shoot a doe on saturday morning meat in the freezer, then sunday morning as I was walking out from the stand had a good buck about 55yards from me so I grunted and guess what he came.
    He was on the other side of this fence when I shoot, I hit I thought good watched him run away seen the arrow in him but not that far. The arrow even hit a tree as he was running and never came out.. I left him for a hour or more then just looked for blood never pushed him had ok blood for about 50 yards.. then nothing,
    Left came back about 2 hours later, found more blood on top of a hill. So he
    ran up hill, followed the blood about 75 yard then nothing... I think maybe I hit him in the shoulder, I looked for him for over 6 hours, I'm going back after work. man was I mad at my self and I had to blame the bow right.. Well maybe I'll get lucky..

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

seems as though everyone is haveing trouble this year, I think the deer have been drinking bionic juice.......

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I usually do some soft,light grunts in Oct. Then during the first few weeks of Nov. I get a little more vocal. Come prerut and rut I am bashing the rattle bag and blowing the grunt like a kazoo. Seems to work for me around here. I like to really PO the bucks I'm hunting:laugh: Also brings in does they want to see what the hay is going on. Curiosity killed the cat and a few does.

13. papito

papito Petering it since 06

I have used the grunt twice and both times it has stopped the deer long enough for me too get a shot. Allthough i have never used it bow hunting, since this is my first year. i plan on using it, i have never spooked one yet.

14. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

a few years ago there was a fad going around about mixing vanilla favoring, oil of anise and red food dye in equal parts to attract deer. some that tried it swore by it. you had to use real vanilla extract. i might mix up a batch to see if it works. i'll let you know what happens

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

didnt the fitzgeralds make a product called vanilla killa.....course they would also go shoot deer behind fences on video if wild hunts did not work out....course that was just a rumor......

16. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yes I do seem to remember something called "Vanilla Killa". Never tried it though. :peace:

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have used a vanilla bean smeared cotton ball and had deer come to it....
    want to see somthing awsome, wash an old sock in sent away soap or unscented soap, then put the sock in a pot of almost boiling apple cider....put the sock in a zip lock take it to your favorite hunting spot on a breezy day.....
    hang the sock from a branch and sit back and wait.....the first time I tried this I had 12 does and 2 bucks come running from all directions and stood sniffing and licking the sock.....al within 10 minutes of hanging the thing it was awsome......the things you can remember when you guys wrack my brain....

18. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

I basically use it as a last resort. If the buck is clearly only going farther away I will start soft and try a bit louder if I don't get a response. I have blow on it like a kazoo and have had button bucks come running.

19. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

that sounds neat

so bowman, tell me more about the apple cider and sock thing. this is really intriguing me. what time of year was it? id like to give it a try, im thinking it owuld probably work best in the really early season, but may try it just for the heck of it since my buck tag is full and im down to an antlerless tag. if nothing else, it should be some entertainment aside from treerats :laugh: