Where are the turkeys?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Wheely, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

For a person who has never turkey hunted and has no clue where the turkeys are, How would a person find them? Do you just hike until you find where they are hanging out?

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

are you hunting on private property or public land?

3. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

pre season Scouting!!!!!!!!!!!

Theres turkeys all over the place,but you really need to scout it out first or its a waste of time,(i made that mistake)no different than hunting any other game animal.you have to know where they are period....their patterns......and your surounding area.you can sit all day where they arent or all day where the birds are...........On public land or private it doesnt matter.....good luck iam sure others will chime in with more under their belt than me.............:peace:

4. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

knowing that they are there to begin with helps! But I know where a whole mess of turkeys roost and I still never get one :noidea:

5. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Maybe I should take you some time. I think you are a nice guy, but not real brilliant. I could probably teach you a thing or 20.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

DUDE, you have never been before.....your the UNBRILLIANT one.......:noidea:

7. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Dude, I'm a redneck. You city boys would have to hunt for 2 years until you figure out your ass from your ground blind. Me, if I spend 10 minutes in the turkey woods, I know it all. Not that much different than deer really, they are just smaller and respond to different sounds.

8. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I'm not, I was just wondering :noidea:

9. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Get a hoot owl call, go out in the woods about 15 minutes before dark when they are flying up to the roost. Blow the call right at dark, where they gobble from is where they will be flying down from the roost (9/10 times) first thing in the morning. Its hard to call them at first light but if you are lucky enough, they will come across your path. Later in the day, when the hens go to sit on their eggs, the flock busts up and you have a better chance of calling a lonely gobbler.

10. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

where did you READ this at, greenhorn. :doh:

11. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I will pay you to shut up. How much do you need? $200? :noidea:

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

stop telling slippy's secrets........:noidea:

13. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

This is the paraphrased version of what kbohunt posted in Chris's turkey hunting thread.....:laugh:

14. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Here is the original version.....:D

15. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

Chippy, you got served homie. :bowl:

My best advice; Trial and error. :biggrin1:

16. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Chippy made that up himself. I didn't steal my material Morgan. :mad:

17. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Dude....you got your blind set up in a residential "hood".....you didn't make that up youself.....:laugh:

18. Hook Em

LOL...whether he made it up or not, he is correct. My problem is getting them to come to me once they hit the ground! I know exactly where they roost and I can get them to gobble, but our turkeys are just flat out lazy! I don't give up easy though and will be back in the woods next weekend. Anybody ever hear that it is hard to get a turkey to come down hill? Or across a creek?

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

YUP, can be almost impossible:noidea:

20. Hook Em

We had 2 Tom's gobbling their heads off a few weeks ago, but they just would NOT come down the hill to take a broadhead in the piehole...I couldn't figure out why :noidea: