Which bow next?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Shortshaft, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Shortshaft

Shortshaft Member

I plan on a new bow for hunting this spring. I've been shooting a Jennings Uniforce XLR for 13-14 years at 70lbs. I have been shooting XX75 2216 camo hunters and an overdraw. I figure on something lighter, shorter, drop away rest, and carbon arrows. I ain't getting no younger so 60 lbs for draw at 29.5 inches. What do you recomend I try out that will make me a happy hunter? The cost isn't as important as the dependability and comfort. Thanks Ss.

2. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

I would recommend a few bows, from most expensive to least expensive:

1. Matthews Drenalin
    2. Hoyt Vectrix Plus
    3. Hoyt Katera
    4. Bowtech Guardian
    5. Bear Truth 2

Those are arguably the best hunting bows on the market right now. The cam cycles are all super smooth, (MAKE SURE WITH THE HOYTS IT IS THE Z3 CAM)...then all the cycles are smooth. The Guardian is a different beast in that it actually gets harder to draw the last 2" of the draw cycle rather than easier, but it is the most stable bow I have ever shot. It is lighter than the Hoyt's but the only bow that I've ever shot that is more stable during the shot. All are great choices though.

Good Luck, go shoot these and see which you like!

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

in all honesty there are about 50 EXCELLENT hunting bows out there right now and there are bows in every price range that perform amazingly well. What kind of $$$ are you looking to put into your new setup"?

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

The Uniforce was my first bow ever!!!!!:rockon:

I just got in my Martin Firecat and it is a really nice bow. Shoot one if you can find one before you make your final decision.

5. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I suggest taking a trip to the local proshop and test drive a few bows. Shoot a couple of each companies top end bows and see which one you like the most.
    Some of the best bows in my opinion
    Hoyts: Katera or Vectrix
    Bowtech: Allegiance, Guardian, General
    Mathews: Drenalin
    PSE: X-force
    Martin: Firecat

Thats is the upper tier of hunting bows on todays market. You might be able to save some $$$ by buying a model from last year if the shop has what you are looking for. A RH 60lb. in 29-29.5 might be hard to work out a deal on, they seem to sell pretty quick in our shop. Good luck, when you buy a new bow, forum rules apply and you have to post pictures!

6. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Have to agree on this plus add the 82nd airborne and the 101st to the bowtech lineup. I shoot the 07 Bowtech Guardian and love it. Really like the new "coating" on the 08 Guardian and General from Bowtech. Also would add the Switchback on Mathews lineup. Shoot the above bows and one will eventually PICK YOU OUT :amen: OOOPs also wanted to add the Diamond Black Ice. I shot this and thought it was a Great bow for the price

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Don't forget:

Martin Bengal (399)
    Fred Bear Truth and Code (under 600.00 if I remember correctly)
    Reflex Line up from Hoyt (most under 600.00)
    Mission Line up from Mathews (All under 600.00)
    Diamond line up from Bowtech (most under 600.00)

And there are some other GREAT bargin priced bows out there and lots of used bows.

Don't think for a minute that you have to spend 700+ on a new bow to get the performance that you are looking for. Especially if all you will be doing is hunting and possibly the random 3-D shoot w/ buddies.

8. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

with that draw length,I would go on ebay and look for a low milage 07 Hoyt Pro 38. Not the fastest(not slow either), very stable, shootable and accurate.

9. pilot

pilot Senior Member

Shoot 'em....shoot 'em all....:cool:

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

He is looking for a new hunting bow, didn't mention target at all. I would definitely AVOID a 38" a2a bow for hunting unless you want to shoot fingers. At a 29.5" draw I would look for something in a 33 - 34" a2a (you can go 32" but make sure you shoot it first and shorter then that you may not like)

11. Shortshaft

Shortshaft Member

Thanks all. A little more info. This is going to be a hunting bow only. If I do ever get back into turny shooting I will put a bow together for that. As far as cost I'm more concerned with a bow that will take my abuse and not need a lot of fussing with than what it costs. The Jennings has been bullet proof for years and I'm looking for that same kind of performance. I figure I should be able to put a quality bow/rest/quiver/arrows/site/broadheads/and release together for $1,500 or so shouldn't I? I tend to keep my hunting stuff a long time so I don't mind spending some cash on it. I hunted my last bow 20 years before the Jennings then gave it to my Son. I am printing out these suggestions to take with when I go test driving. OH yeah no more finger shooting with my artheritus!

12. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

good gad dredly, ???? did you know there are actually hunt with recurves and long bows exceed 50" , 60"or more?
    Anything under 40" is short. Anything under 37" is very short. Anything under 34" is ridiculous.:doh: A 37-38" bow with good brace height like a Pro 38 or Ultra38 if more emphasis on FPS performance is desired are outstanding choices for an all around bow and will be a better shooter.

Go to SpotHogg website....read some news letters....become enlightened.:humble:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  13. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Yeah Dred.....if your IQ was over 89 you'd know that bows under 36" make crappy hunting bows. Just ask 80% of the bowhunters in this country that can't kill crap with theirs.......:spit: :spit: :spit: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Just buy yourself a Mathews SB XT and save some time and money. Nothing compares.:D IMO

There are dozens of great bows out there to choose from take your time and find one that fits you. Especially since your like me and keep them a long time. I shot a Jennings Carbon Extreme for over 10 years. Good luck and happy hunting.:peace:

15. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I don't understand. Why do so many people recommend trying top-o-the-line bows from each manufacturer? I'm sorry, but I've been around too long and there is absolutely no reason to spend $700-$800 or more on a bow unless this your most important passion in the world.

There is nothing one of these bows can do that similar bows priced HUNDREDS of dollar less won't do. Especially for someone who doesn't live with a bow in their hand.

That being said, I nearly live with a bow in hand, year round. I can have any bow I so desire free just by filling out an order form. I shoot a lot of 3D and bowhunt. Shoot some target. What bows do I get? Normally around $450 or so. This year I'm stepping it up and get a Martin FireCat that MSRP's at $600. But if I wanted a "mostly" hunting bow I'd step down one notch and get the Martin MOAB that retails for about $450.

Somewhere along the line common sense has to prevail.

And yes, I always agree that a person should test drive a lot of bows, and keep notes on each one. If he wants to spend a gob of money so be it, but it's not at all necessary. Prestige is not the name of the game in archery. A deer can't read logo's.

16. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Diamond Liberty with a Ripcord rest. :thumb:

17. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

18. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

My top of the line bow is better.:cool: :biggrin1:

19. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I'm not even going to mention what I hunt with....:p :p :tape:

Don't look....:cool:

Parker Pheonix 34 inches of instant deerdeflation.....:peace: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

20. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Bowtech/Diamond line is quite varied in cost, performance and overall feel. Shoot as many as you can you will find one that is just harder to put down than the others. For me the Guardian and Allegiance are my 2 favorites, but don't overlook the General. It takes noise and shock levels to new lows. Also the Airborne 82 and 101 are both hitting shops now so give them a shot as well:cool:

Dan