Which Bow would you choose?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by 3dhunter, May 18, 2006.

1. 3dhunter

3dhunter Member

It occurred to me this evening that I've had the same High Country Bow for about 7 years now. It got me thinking...if I had to change brands, what would be my choice? Mine would be the Bowtech Tribute, how about you? Just call me curious, George would be about right.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I thought about it and well here is my thinking:

Hoyt, great clothes, dont care for there bows.

Bowtech, kinda cool name, but I think there limbs are lame.

Martin, thats a bow for a wife and besides dont want one for life.

Darton, technology is old, cant beleive there not dead and cold.

APA, now thats fast, another whos limbs wont last.

Ross, at first glance, nah wont say it, gotta give em a chance.

So I am still trying to decide:biggrin1: :laugh:

3. zman43302

zman43302 Junior Member

:doh: i did the same thing a couple months ago. i had been shooting a jennings for 7 or 8 years a decided it was time to move up or on however u want to look it . lol i went with a mathews switchback xt.
    and i havent been disappointed so far its the only weapon i have ever shoot with no recoil.
    thats not to say bowtech is bad dont want to start a war lol
    i belive almost any of todays bows once u set them up properly they will preform just fine. its up to the shooter to make the shot:peace:

4. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

BOWMAN No you didn't:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Right now I am in that same boat, trying to decide what I want to do. I want a bow with a little longer A to A, then the 2 32 inch ones I have now. I am leaning towards the Ross cr337 but haven't made my mind up completly.

MoBowman ```--------->

5. Randy B

Randy B Junior Member

don't over look some of the smaller (newer) bow companys. I sure like my CSS bows,a single cam challenger and a hybrid cam challenger.

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

hmm......

I think I will have one of everything. I like them all. Does anyone have Bill Gates phone number I seem to be having a cash flow problem here and would like to get a little loan. I'd say he should be able to fit the "BILL" But if I can only have one bow that is on the market I'd have to go with my XT.

7. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I shot the switchback and the XT before I bought the Trykon XL. They are all fine bows. I also had shot a couple bowtechs and other Hoyts and it was a very hard decision. But I ended up having Mathews and Hoyts hanging in the range and kept on shootin em until there were two. The origional Switchback and the Trykon XL. I ended up going with the XL. Anyone in here could have had the same lineup of choices I had and probably came out with a different choice. So I would say do some research and shoot em all thats how you will make your decision.

Hey Bowman I did'nt know that you were a poet:laugh: :biggrin1:

8. zman43302

zman43302 Junior Member

very true radar i too shot sevral before
    it is best to go to a good pro shop with a open mind a try out a few bows and then decide

9. nuker

nuker Junior Member

Archery Research

I currently shoot an AR-31 (Archery Research), and am still in love with it. If I had to change, I would shoot the AR, Hoyt, and Matthews side by side, again, then choose. Just because they're owned by PSE, don't write them off. The bows are every bit in the league of Matthews and Hoyt.

10. crawdad375

crawdad375 Junior Member

I just upgraded a couple of weeks ago and holy smokes what a difference.
    I went from a PSE Baby G-Force to a Mathews Conquest 3. Wish I had done it years ago.

11. baltimus

baltimus Junior Member

what do you guys think about parker bows. i think they have come out with some nice bows but i dont know.

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Parker Bows

I bought my son a Parker Buckshot and believe it is a very nice bow. As for the higher models all I have shot from parker seem to have a little too much handshock and a rough draw cycle. But if they feel good to you then by all means that is the bow you should shoot. We all have differences and my SB XT may feel terrible to you. DO NOT buy a bow just because someone else says it is a great bow.

13. deergetter

deergetter Junior Member

i also think css is a great bow. ive only shot their swampmaster. my dad has it and he can shoot targets all day and still go kill a deer with it. its all around perfect

14. BowTech81

BowTech81 Member

I couldn't have said it any better myself!!!

15. swampbuck

swampbuck Junior Member

I just joined this forum to get some advice on this same question! Been a hardcore 3D shooter up to a few years ago, then children entered the picture and 2 a week leagues ended, and i haven't kept up on the market much since! I see a few companies are making headway against the 2 giants Hoyt and Mathews! I bought the newest, best technology that came out every year and now my 3 year old Hoyt Ultratec is going to become my backup bow as i search for a new one. Bowtech (and Diamond), and Ross also seem to be in the mix with Hoyt and Mathews IMO. So, The Diamond(Bowtech) Victory and the Ross CR34 seem to be at least $100 less than a comparable Mathews or Hoyt. Really want the parallel limb set-up and a solocam (have cam and a half on my hoyt) and liked my past redline solocams. Sorry for rambling on just want to make a point as to put favortism aside for your brand and get your opion as to what you would consider if you were buying another bow! I do like the Switchback by the way, for not the price it may be ontop my list!

16. BryanG

BryanG Junior Member

I have shot alot of different bows since I started shooting. I do agree with shooting a bunch of different bows before you buy one. I currently shoot both a Switchback and an Apex 7. Like most great products you are paying some for the name, but you CANNOT go wrong with Mathews. Both my bows are by far the easiest and smoothest bows I have ever shot. Another new company out there to look at is Elite Archery. I belive it was started buy a former Bowtech engineer. (Wicked fast out of the box. Like 325fps) Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck and hope you find the right bow!

17. fourbarrel

fourbarrel Junior Member

Without a doubt a ross

18. kozman4907

kozman4907 Junior Member

don't forget the little guy

There are some really great bow companys out there: RAC,CSS,FORGE. Lots of good stuff being had for a lot less cash. Shoot as many bows that ya can and you will "KNOW" the right bow,cause it will feel great.
    Good Luck Koz:typing: :biggrin1:

19. gamegeekky

gamegeekky Junior Member

After talking to a few bowhunters, they all recommended a Matthews bow and buying from one specific highly respected local shop. I shot the Switchback XT and really liked how smooth and dead in the hand it was. I however didn't like the grip. It seems to allow too much torque. I tried other bows and didn't find anything that I liked better.

I finally decided to go with the switchback xt. I went to the mentioned shop, grabbed one and told the guy to set me up. As we were talking about accessories I mentioned that I just wanted what he considered the best of everything within reason. He looks at me a little funny and says, "If you want the best then I wouldn't sell you that bow". This kind of threw me. I said, "Then what would you recommend". Without a doubt he recommended the Ross CR334. He said that it was as smooth as the Matthews but was a lot easier to shoot. Both he and his daughter hunted with Ross bows even thought they could use anything. I tried it. It shot as good or better than the switchback but I loved the grip. At $80 cheaper it also comes with one of the best strings too, a Winner's Choice. No need to buy the switchback and then have to replace the string.

I bought it and have been extremely satisfied. The fit and finish of the Ross is superb.

Like many have said, I don't think you can go too wrong with a Bowtech, Matthews, Hoyt, Martin, Parker, or Ross. IMO though the Ross is easily the best for the money.

chris

20. blade

blade Junior Member

What are we compairing here?

If it's jumps in technology from your current bow to a new one, I think I got everyone beat. This spring I retired my 1990 vintage bear magnum 44 (big frigging boat anchor) and picked up a PSE firestorm lite.

Where do I start????