which bow

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by stangdra, Aug 5, 2008.

1. stangdra

stangdra New Member

I would like to get into archery and need some help finding a bow for me. I know i should get measured for it but i was also wondering what are some good compound bows out there. I dont want the most expensive and i dont want a cheap one either. What do you guys recommend?

2. red man

red man New Member

a few people will dispute this but i am a martin fan i have a martin saber it was around $450.00 for the bare bow and i love it but if i were you i would look in to the used section to get your self started that is what i did when i started and you will save sum money going that route to :D

3. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I haven't shot one yet, but a friend of mine works at an archery shop. He recomended shooting a Bear Truth for under 400.00, before choosing my next bow. Also, I can't remember the brand names, but both Mathews and Hoyt have a second line of bow. Maybe someone else will fill you in on the details. Please do yourself a favor and get some who knows how, to figure your draw length. I paid 500.00 for my "04" Hoyt in "05". Discontinued models are often discounted. Bow shopping can be great fun. Good luck!

4. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Browse the classifieds!

5. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

I am a PSE shooter so am biased towards their package deals which you can find a complete setup for $400.00 in the Stinger or $500.00 in the Brute.

However, since I do not want to lead you to my beliefs. My cousins and brother shoot the Mission X3 bow. All of them love the bows and I have to admit they shoot very nice and are quiet. You can get a complete setup ready to go for $350-400 as well. If you do research people all over the forums are commenting on these bows (usually as back ups to their high dollar rigs). I have not read anything bad about these bows, just that they dont have all of the bells and whistles of the Mathews line. For a beginning archery I would suggest this line and believe you will be happy!

6. stangdra

stangdra New Member

Dont i need to get custom fitted for a bow? I seen some nice bows in the classifies but i dont no if they would be good for my size? Can i just buy ANY bow?

7. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

You do need to have your draw length measured and the bow set up for that length. I would hit as my shops as you can and try out as many as you can. Make sure they are set for your draw length (usually by changing modules) None of us can pick a bow for you as much of it is personal preference. I wouldn't be afraid of any of the normal manufacturers.

8. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

We bought the old man a Mission this spring. Its a shooter forsure..And for a meer 350 bucks. I think his is a X3 maybe:noidea: something like that. What a nice bow for a begginer!