Why is it......

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by BUNNYMAN, May 5, 2007.

1. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

that people are so stuck on making arrows so very short.....

In a indoor sitation why is it that your arrrows need to be short???

do all those that keep suggesting it have small man issues....is that it???

I just love it when a somebody takes a hows my form pic, thier arrows are a little long and the first thing that gets said is....oh god your arrows are tooooooo long you better hack themoff....

or you will loose so much speed, which you really really need for shooting 20 yrds.....

2. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I dont care how much arrow is past the arrow rest for spots, indoor or outdoor. I buy them uncut. then I'll cut a 1/2 inch at a time untill I get a perfect bullet hole. thats were they stay. 3D I'll cut them as short as I can. also the longer arrows are easier to resale if you want to

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

thank you.....someone who sees a point.....:rockon:

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Indoor only!

I agree indoor only,you dont need speed.
    I will say if an archer has an arrow problem where cutting it shorter will make it lighter to correct a low poundage problem & make it fly like a dart,cut it.
    I was shooting indoor with my son at age 9 he shot a 32lb bow i had to cut his arrows down to the rest to stop them from the rainbow up to the cealing it worked.
    In this kinda case only,if your shooting at least 45lbs cutem the way you want to or leavem full length,extream speed is not the factor.

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I don't cut em unless I need more spine and do not want to change tip weight. My 2219's and X-Weaves are both around 30.5". :peace:

6. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

hey, what can I say, I am a girl and can use all the speed I can get :biggrin1:

7. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

muscle up or get a faster bow. lol... j/k

8. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

hey now, I am already shooten 48# and working on 50# :biggrin1:

9. Allen

Allen Senior Member

Some of the short arrow ideas comes from Gold Tip pro, Tim Gillingham. Tim thinks that he shoots the best with the arrows as short as possible, just beyond the launcher.

Tim has a very long draw and this may work for him, but at my 26" DL, I find that it works best if I find the front node and put it on or beyond the laucher contact point. After that I adjust the point weight to get the best groups.

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Curious!

I was woundering when did he come up with shooting this way.
    Just curious we were shooting 3-d in the 80's all of us cut the arrows off as short as possible when the shoots increased in asa to 50yds and our rigs wernt very fast 225fps average we used up to 6inch overdraws to acheive more speed at unknown yardage.
    IM a 29in draw at one time i shoot a 4inch overdraw on a 78lb pse mach flight 4 easton 2213 25 &3/4 arrow was hitting 265fps in 1984 my bow was one of the fastest ask smokes back then that was fast!
    New school vs old school, its a different world ahchery of today.

11. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

That was equivalent ta 320 ta day
    Yup, we had round wheels no cams back in em day's.
    I shot a Cougar Mag by Martin at 80# 1813 x7s with trimmed 50 gr nibs and a 3" over draw.
    Never did see a conographer back then.
    I'd say it was smokin'.

Broke 3 bow handles all of em at shoots. They would just fold up and tha arrow would git to tha targit.

Dry firing for sure. Man but it was cool.
    Won tha Tricity championship in '87' with it.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  12. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

smokes!

Yep! dry firin is what we did.:biggrin1:
    I blew up a jetfight, a lazerflight target in the same year.
    blew about 20 strings in tournaments had to run get the backup bow out of the truck, several times. those was the days.:biggrin1:

13. Allen

Allen Senior Member

Sorry to say that I don't know Tim well enough to know this. I first saw him doing it about three years ago. However, he may have gotten the idea from someone using the overdraws.

It seems like many of the "old" ideas are new again and things that look new are just old ideas with a little different spin. Even something as radical looking as the Gardian has precedent in bows with limbs supported both in the middle and one end.

Sometimes, the old ideas work better now with newer materials. I enjoy watching for what comes next.

Allen