wind and archery

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by watt spurlock, Jun 2, 2008.

1. watt spurlock

watt spurlock New Member

Good morning folks, Question. I ve been shooting a lot more this year, and a lot tougher conditions. Its bad enough that I mess up some yardages. But is there any tip or item that I can key on that might help me get thru what is the toughest thing for me? It may seem tougher now than b-4 because I now shoot back tension. I really don't want to revert to punching or jumping on it. Missed another target this weekend, could have missed 4, so I guess I should be greatful. Do a lot of people just carry a different release for this? Just looking for some ideas. Some people just don't shoot on these days of high wind. Thats just not an option for me. (you know, its an addiction). Ive noticed I get a lot less effect with my target bow, because it is so heavy, I guess. How about some help. thanks , Watt:noidea:

2. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I stand in my garage to shoot so it blocks me from the wind. The wind effect on the arrows at 35 yards it minimal, at 50, its a big impact.

3. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Wind!

Oh man, here it comes! :tape:

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

:tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

:focus:
    let's help the guy out instead of :deadhorse:

6. watt spurlock

watt spurlock New Member

thats a great idea, I could carry a small building to stand in when I shoot.:doh:

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

tilt your top limb into the wind about half your bubble level and see how that works. you'll have to go more or less depending on wind speed and distance shooting. you just have to practice at it.

8. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

or just compensate by aiming to the left or right, whichever the wind is coming from :noidea:
    I have had to do this a few times and actually made pretty good (lucky) shots :biggrin1:

9. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

just a regular pop up blind would suffice walt.

10. Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet New Member

I don't understand why or how wind is really going to effect you shooting at 3D distances...it shouldn't really. At least not enough to make you blank a target.

Is the wind just blowing your bow around? One of the ranges I shoot at is right off a huge river...there is always a wind. A big gust will blow my dot off the spot but not off the target. You need to learn how to read the wind so that you come to full draw as the wind is dying off....

11. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I think you're describing is the bow itself being blown around by the wind as you're trying to aim, not arrow wind drift. I've never had wind drift make me miss the whole target at 50 yards or less; not even the 30 mph plus gusts I was shooting in last weekend. The wind did however blow my bow around quite a bit, making aming tough. I hunt in a tree on windy days so I practice in my back yard 30' high in a red pine. With lots of practice, I'm able to hit a soft ball size target out to 20 yards or so in the rain, snow and wind. When the tree is moving alot in strong wind the only way I can consistantly hit a softball size target is to punch the trigger as my sight window drifts over the target. It's either that or I wait for a lull in the wind and it's unlikely a deer will accommodate. I use a t-handle thumb release. I've never tried a back tension release, so I can't help you with that aspect. Have fun and good luck.

12. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Slippy is the expert on shooting in the wind, I would do what he says, he is a TV star ya know!:doh: :wave:

13. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

I think you answered your own question. Add some more weight to your hunting bow, get it closer in weight to your target rig. Also, if your DL is too long, you are going to struggle in the wind too. :bowl:

14. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

There's always the 60" umbrella. :laugh:

15. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

AAAAWWWWW Mom. Slippy just makes it so easy, and this was the perfect set up. :pout: :pout:

16. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I know, but we just need to make sure questions get answered before we hijack :hug: :laugh:

17. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I think most of us behaved on this one - even with Slip's comment "The wind effect on the arrows at 35 yards it minimal", but made him miss a deer at 18 yards by 3 feet! :tape: :biggrin1:

Sorry Slip --- wind jokes will never get old!