Wind Effect On Arrows

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by JWINKS, Feb 3, 2006.

1. JWINKS

JWINKS Junior Member

Hi folks: Got some Beeman 400 for a Christmas present, been shooting them almost every day with mixed results. Here's the question.... I noticed quite a bit more drift from wind than what i was used to with my aluminum ( about 150 grs heavier, stands to reason right? ) but, is it the wind coming from behind me or into me that is causing me fits as to where the point of impact is vertically? Seems like I can go out shoot a group at 40 and start raising or lowering sights till I'm dialed in and the next day go out and be off in the oppisite direction. Comments???

2. Pinky

Pinky Senior Member

Could be you, could be the arrows. Could be both.

What the FOC(front of center) on your new arrows?

3. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

Jwinks

Here is my suggetion to you. Take your arrows to your nearest Pro shop and have them all weighed. Make sure all of your tips are the same weight. Wind will have a effect on arrow flight. Pinky is right in saying that it could be you or the wind or both. You should check you F.O.C. it should be 8% to 12%. Make sure your bow is tuned properly and your arrows are spined for the length and draw weight you are shooting. If not this will have a negitive effect on arrow flight as well. Also once you get your bow sighted in make some marks on the sight to see if they are moving. I would not suggest moving your sights all the time to make arrows group. I hope this is some help to you. Good Luck with your shooting.:)

4. JWINKS

JWINKS Junior Member

I think I might have found the problem. I have a Parker " Feathermag" bow with a " Hind" rear sight and a Trophy Ridge front. The " Hind" mounts under the Trophy Ridge with 2 socket head machine screws holding everything to the riser. I think the screws were bottoming out before they really tightened everything up. Felt tight but the " Hind " could move up or down with very little effort, just a bump would do it. I took a few tousanths off the screws and every thing seems to be rock solid now. Thanks for the ideas.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

Maybe Slippy could help? :wave: