Winners choice strings

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by 62flint, Jul 7, 2007.

1. 62flint

62flint Member

I am thinking of taking my fuse? strings off my 2006 trykon and replaceing them with a set of winners choice strings.
    I think the fuse strings may be stretching some. What improvements may I notice going to winners choice?
    I mostly hunt with my bow, hope to get in to 3d shooting with it. I do shoot a bit I try to average 20 shots a day.
    Thanks

2. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

I just put some Winner's CHoice strings on my bow a few weeks ago and they are doing pretty well. I think the bow is a tad faster now, well at least the draw seems a bit "tighter" than with the fuse strings. Could be in my head though but it seems a bit tighter. Today I put about 130 shots thru and probably in last couple weeks a bit more than that and my peep is staying pretty straight now.

3. pink camo

pink camo Senior Member

I just put some on my Target bow and I have noticed more speed and my peep stays put! Plus they have awesome colors! :peace:

4. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

I use them at the recommendation of the shop guys. No trouble. Settled fast. Wearing very well. Didn't get pretty colors though.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

but anyone who believes they will never stretch has got another thing coming, they can stretch just like any other string, have seen a few, stretch over an inch in a year.......

6. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

I lubed mine up real good right away, and kept doing it the first several times out. Once the lube got all through. it was pretty stable. Only took a few days.

7. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I Would recommend taking the Fuse strings off. I haven't heard anything good about them and they do stretch allot!!!. Hoyt has never had a good reputation for the strings they use on their bows. I think WC strings is a good choice, once you get your peep set, you shouldn't have any rotation of it. If you order them you need to make sure you tell the shop if you want the Xcoating on the cables. Up until this year, Xcoating came standard but now is an extra cost ($3) to have you cables served with it.

All strings will stretch, but WC strings are pre-stretched and any stretching that happens after installation should be very minimal. :noidea: But you do have a band one in the bunch. :doh:

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

I bought a set in 03 for a new protec and shot that bow for about a year and a half. After initial settling, my peep never once moved. I don't know how they are now, but when I bought mine they were great.

If I was going to buy a new string today, I'd like to try Buck Nasty's. I've heard only good things from him and at a nice price.

9. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

I've used 6 or 7 sets of John's strings (aka BuckNasty) they are as good as it gets:cool:

10. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

sounds neat. I thought about getting a new string on my guardian next year.

rick

11. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

If your concerned about stretch, when you order your winners choice, request them in 452x. It's a bit more stable than 8125. I have some guys get 8125 on the string and 452x on the cables.

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I had/have Winner's Choice string/cables on my Allegiance. I took off the cables last night to replace them with Vapor Trail cables and guess what, the Winner's Choice cables were about 1/2" longer than the new Vapor Trails... Now is that because they stretched or is it because the Vapor Trails had not been put on a bow yet ? I don't know but I'm going to shoot this thing a bunch and compare them again afer a couple hundred shots. I'm very curious to see what the difference is going to be after that.

Also, if you read the info on BCY's WEB site, they make it pretty clear that 8125 is a bit faster than 452x but 452x is more stable than 8125. Chris' comment that he has guys use 452x on the cables and 8125 on the string may be a decent idea.

Ron

13. poorshot

poorshot Senior Member

Fuse had to go

I had Winners Choice 452x put on my Vulcan 3 months ago, best decision I could have made. I have used Crackers stings and cables. They are good but he is very busy and its a long wait. Have used H & M strings, good also. And have had Bucknasty strings and cables. They are good, I hear wait time is about 2 weeks on them.

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I recently bought a string/cable set from Mikes Custom Strings for my Ovation. 452x. Blue/black string material with blue serving. Very nicely made and excellent service.
    He can be reached at bowhuntingmike@yahoo.com.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic...

Ron

15. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

If you can't get it posted, send it to me @ jcmorgan31@verizon.net and I'll post them for you....:peace:

16. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Thanks for the offer JC.

Figured it out, pretty cool, had to resize images though.

Blueberry Ovation, the current weapon of choice for the Greencastle R-100, with Mike's custom strings. I don't think the pics do the string/cable justice though.

Ron

17. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

looks great! Nice bow

rick

18. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Thanks, it was a bit of a work in progress until recently. I bought the bow from a gentleman from Wisconsin who sometimes posts on this site. When I got it from him it was in perfect condition. I put more wear and scratches on it than he did I think...

Ron

19. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

http://www.mikes-archery.com/id1.html

This guy?

He has some real nice prices.

20. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, that's Mike.
    Cost me $30 for a string/cable set. My choice of colors for material, center and end serving. 452x.

Ron