WooooHooooo...Dead TURKEY pics inside

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Hook Em, May 4, 2008.

1. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

Sorry for the long post!
    Ok, so this is the 2nd trip to the lease this spring on the quest for a gobbler. Pink and I haven’t killed a turkey yet and this is the 3rd year of us trying. I wish I could say it was because of a lack of turkeys, but that isn’t the case at all. We have a ton of them! They are just never interested in what we have to offer :noidea:. So this trip was turning out to be the same on Thursday and Friday morning…lots of gobbles and no birds coming anywhere near us :frusty:. Well on Friday afternoon at 1ish I went to fill a feeder and of course in full strut was a big old Tom and he promptly ran off. I went back to hunt that spot in the evening and when I arrived, he was already there and unwilling to come my direction. So Saturday morning I decide to go and hunt that stand thinking he may be more interested in food that nookie, or at least the hens were probably coming there to eat. I got there REALLY early the next morning and set my decoy near the feeder. Couple hours went by and I didn’t hear a thing…then a hen came in from my right (was expecting the birds to come from my left) and she didn’t like the looks of my decoy at all and went strolling away sounding her turkey alarm. Keep in mind that I decided to stay quiet and not call at all this morning. About 10 minutes later I now have 5 deer in front of me eating and I peek to my right and there he was…now I just have to draw with none of these friggin deer OR the Tom seeing me. I drew back at just the right time…nobody saw me. Tom was 20 yds away and I sent my Bullhead flying at the turkey’s melon. Say butta…I MISSED. Over his head…now I am ready to :cry:. So he runs about 50 yds away and I load another arrow (this time a slick trick cause for some reason I thought I wouldn’t miss and only need one bullhead :doh:) . Well the tricks shoot at a different spot than the bullheads do, so I have to compensate…trick shoots a little high and a little right. Got it. Sure enough big boy comes back and stops facing me at 18 yds….I friggin missed again (actually I brushed a leg and knocked off at least 4 feathers :doh:). So I got down to look for him cause I just knew I got a good hit…until I looked at the arrow. So off into the brush I go to look…no sign of him or a speck of blood or a misplaced feather. So 20 minutes later I made my way back to the stand…once I cleared the trees I promptly scare off the 20 or so turkeys that are there eating :doh: :doh: :doh:. It is a little fuzzy now, but I may have shed a tear or two at this point. So now what to do…go back into the stand, or just head back to camp and start ****tail hour early (about 7:30 a.m. at this time). I caved and got back in my stand…luckily at least one of the hens didn’t know why she ran away and started yelping from the brush about 100 yds in front of me. Just then a group of 4 jakes come into view to my right heading for my decoy. I am plenty ticked by this time and now I want some blood..if I have to jump out of this tripod and bite a turkey’s head off, I will do it!! One of the Jakes starts to strut at the decoy and when he got to the spot where I MISSED the first turkey, I let the bullhead (which I went and picked up off the ground) fly at the base of his neck….YAHTZEE!!! My first bird with a bow…he wasn’t a giant, but I hunted a lot of hours and it finally paid off! And just so you know, Pink saw the bird I hit in the leg this morning at the same stand and she almost got a shot of him, but when she drew the deer busted her and started running so the Tom decided he needed to run a well. She took a shot at him at 45 yds and it zoomed just to the left of his head. To her defense, the wind was blowing…not Slippy style, it really was!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

congrats, enjoy your turkey leg, I think that's all thats left.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

3. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

Nice job Hook! Congrats :rockon:

4. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

Congrats on your first bird,good job....................:rockon:

5. SinGin

SinGin Banned

What a great feeling to finally get that first one. Now they SHOULD come a little easier. What is that a Rio?

6. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

congratulations on the bird

7. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Congrats dude. Good things come to those who wait. Now you got to get Pink her bird.

8. Hook Em

well she will have to wait until next year....the birds were not coming to calls at all for the last few weeks. Next year we are going to go on opening weekend!!

9. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

:thumb: They sure are purdy down there...

10. Hook Em

yessir..that would be a Rio Grande gobbler.

11. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

:bored:

Yeah, could have down without the snoozer but congrats on your first bow turkey!!!! :rockon:

12. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Good Job Hook!!! Is there any meat left on that thing? :wave:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

DUDE, WHY???

I mean did you send it through a blender???:puke: :puke: :pound:

14. Hook Em

no meat was injured during the killing of this turkey...unless you eat wild turkey neck :noidea:

15. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Hey that is a good bird with a bow Hook
    sure looks like it's gonna be some tender vittles.

16. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I grind the neck meat up to make into burgers. Everything on a turkey is edible except the beak, claws, and spurs.

17. firechic

firechic IKE refugee... hehe

WAY TO GO HOOK!!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Now it's Pink's turn! :p

18. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

You eat the feathers? Do they tickle when they come out?:lol:

19. Hook Em

Wait...I didn't think you had even taken a turkey yet. Butterballs don't count Slip!

20. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

He got his at Wal-Mart...

On sale.. :lol: