wraps verses painting the shaft

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Colo_Lee, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

What’s the deal with wraps is there a special reason to use them?
    What’s wrong with just painting the shaft? It used to work great
    with aluminum shafts. Do carbon shafts have a problem with paint?
    Or is just because of the flames and logos you can get on them
    Basically just want to know if there is a problem with painting a
    carbon shaft

2. as far as I know there is nothing wrong with paint on a carbon shaft. but the stick ons are durable, easy to use, nowhere near as messy,cheap, and you can get some pretty cool designs put on them.

3. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

What he said

4. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yep, I have some of his flamed, white to orange fade, wraps for Easton Fatboys. He does nice work and can do a lot of custom stuff for a reasonable price.

Ron

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

There is absolutely nothing wrong with painting your carbon arrows. It is actually lighter than a vinyl wrap.. You do need to use a particular type of paint (which I can't remember which, but Bowman started a thread with a link in it to painting shafts). Removing paint is pretty easy if you have the necessary chemicals in the garage.

Vinyl wraps allow more detailed graphics and if you hold them over a heat source for a few seconds, come off pretty darned easy too.

Try them both and see what you like. If you decide to go with wraps, give me a holler...

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Not to intrude on JC's business because if you want wraps then he is your man but make sure that you are happy with the veins you are using, the helical... etc because if you put a vein on wrong your taking all of them off with the wrap to fix it.

8. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Very true..... And you would also have to repaint the shaft after peeling and scraping your veins off....:peace:

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I believe it was Lacquer

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

11. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I believe you are correct...:peace:

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yup you sure will... thought I said that but when I reread it I didn't.... :noidea:

13. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yep its Lacquer thinner, ain't that right Cody???:doh:

I really like JC's wraps they are very nice. I just do not like adding weight to the back of the shaft.:noidea: :peace:

14. take a look at the link that bowman put up. doing it that way only added like 1 grain.

15. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

Thank for the response
    No offence Jc but for now going to stick with paint might try some later one though
    And Bowman thanks for the video link

As far as painting where the fletching is I stop doing that long time ago when the
    Glue had a bad reaction to the paint on one of the arrows I did must not have had the
    Paint mixed right so from then on I have been painting just up to the fletching

16. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

FYI...
    If you use laquer thinner to clean the paint off the shaft you should remove the nock first. The thinner will 'attack' the plastic...

Ron