Wrist strap usage

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Norien, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Norien

Norien Junior Member

I was shooting at the range yesterday with my kids so I was there for quite a long time setting sights helping with form, video etc. During that time I heard three different shop "pros" giving lessons at different times and all three had different philosophies regarding the left hand (for right hand shooters). Two said to maintain an open grip with fingers at a 45 degree downslope while aiming, but one of them said, once you release you should grip the bow and hold your arm up and steady until you hear the arrow hit the target. The other said to release and never close your grip but to let the bow fall forward and down, letting the wrist strap do its work. The third said to do something very different. Instead of open hand with fingers down he advised to first grip the bow as if holding a pole, draw, then open your hand and place your four fingers along the front of the riser in a straight up and down line, but don't squeeze them against the riser until you shoot, then grip the bow and hold arm up till shot hits target.

So which one of these guys is right? Or are they all right and it's just preference?

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.

Norien :)

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I have found when shooting....I let my fingers rest (loosely) on the front of the grip and I am more accurate when I allow the bow to do what it is going to do, whether it falls forward or whatever and I hold my arm up until the shot is complete.

I have a problem wanting to see the arrow hit the target, therefore moving my bow too soon and missing.

3. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

I'd go with this guy- The other said to release and never close your grip but to let the bow fall forward and down, letting the wrist strap do its work.

But With you fingers lightly holding the bow, you won't have the bow just hanging by the wrist strap. The bow will still be held loosely in your hand.

Ben

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup thats my way also......

doesnt mean i am right it just means thats the way I do it......