XI bows

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bullfiddle, Oct 5, 2007.

1. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

How many here remember shooting XI bows? I just sold my XI XRG a couple of months ago. I killed alot of deer with that bow. I used to shoot 3D with it too. Back when we could shoot 90lbs with no arrow weight restriction. I personally got to see more than a couple bows blow up in them days......:rockon:

2. Scablands

Scablands Member

I still have a couple in my basement, a Flatliner that I hunted with quite a while and a XI Scream single cam that is practically new.

3. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I actually shot for them from 1993 to 1997. Although I never shot the hard cammed Flatliner I did have several bows with the slightly softer cam (Legacy, Nemisis, etc) and they were good shooters.

4. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

So what was the point of 90#+ bows for 3d.....:noidea: ????

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

speed. why else?

6. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

And you need that much speed because....your hurling huge tree trunks for arrows???

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

actually they (the old timers) used to shoot 3 - 4 gpp if that in the quest for 300+. The used overdraws so that they could shoot arrows 5 - 6 inches to short, overstrung their bows for more speed, used fewer strands in their strings...

they were pretty crazy back then

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yep, I remember shooting a Flatliner.

By the way Dredly those years were not so long ago. I still remember them like yesterday.:peace:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

these same old timers started BOWTECH......man some things never change.....still blowing up bows......:laugh: :laugh:

10. bullfiddle

I was glad when bow companies started using fast flight cables and did away with the metal teardrops. Man I still get the shivers thinkin about those teardrops rippin thru flesh. And yes back a few years ago in order to break that 300 fps mark we had to shoot 90lbs. + and try to get an aluminum arrow as lite as possible to shoot out of our bows. This was pre carbon arrow days and when the carbons did come around most guys couldn't afford to shoot em. Now days you can get a decent carbon arrow for about the same money as aluminum.:doh:

11. bullfiddle

P.S. This is the first year that I have shot a full length shaft in probably 15 yrs. Shot an overdraw on my bows for a long time.

12. Scablands

Scablands Member

I switched to my flatliner because it was a 60# shooting a 438 gr. 2413 @ 240 fps. Had been shooting a cougar mag at 75# with a 465Gr. 2215 @ the same speed. The draw cycle on the XI took a little getting used to but it was sure nice pulling less weight.

13. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I am almost a bow virgin, only had two so far :biggrin1: OR I am just too young to know what you are talking about :noidea:

14. bullfiddle

The bows we are talking about we were shooting somewhere in the mid to late 80's. I learned to never ask a lady her age so we will leave it at that......:lol:

15. bullfiddle

My XRG almost had a round wheel on it it wasn't much of a cam at all. It pulled pretty sweet. I still have an old hoyt in the closet and I can't think of what the model of it was but it's got a big old cast riser on it and it pulls like a fence post. I thought I was something special when I bought my first High Country Supreme with the hatchet cams.:doh:

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Never shot an XI, but I remember them well...
    back then I was a Fred Bear man also had an old Browning X-cellerator...They were all good bows:biggrin1:

17. Carphunter

Carphunter Junior Member

still have my flatliner, and may have to use it this year. but I'd like to find f31 modules for it.

18. Huya

Huya Senior Member

I remember them bows. But I had the Jennings. I can't remember the model either. I think it maxed at 165 fps. Wow was that fast then. lol.

19. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

I too still have my first bow a XI bought it in the 1990's used this bow up till I my wife won my Switchback XT. My XI with full size arrows still shoots about 247 fps. with a overdraw and 26" arrows it shot about 287fps

20. Tj Kinser

Tj Kinser New Member

I still shoot the flatliner my dad passed down to me every week