yardage problems

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by shack13, Feb 11, 2008.

1. shack13

shack13 New Member

I've only bow hunted for 2 yrs; but i need help on how to judge yardage better. I killed a nice 8 point this year at about 15 yards, that was an easy shot on the ground. what i need help with is judging out to 40,50, and 60 yrds. it seems easy on a target but not on deer i always miss low but side to side is dead on. any tips?:noidea:

2. hunt55

hunt55 New Member

yardage

I've been shooting for 20yrs & the best way that I have found to judge yardage is to get out & shoot all the shoots that you can. it will become
    second nature too you & improve your over all shooting.

3. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I use trees and stuff around me using 20 yard increments

4. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I have to agree with "Hunt55". The best way is to shot as much outside as possible. I go to numerous walk thru ranges that are setup similiar to a 3D shoots except they have paper targets. I recently got my grandson into bowhunting and bought him a range finder and he uses the daylights out of that thing. He'll just pick out foreign objects and guess-ta-mate the yardage and has gotten quite good at it. Practise, practise, practise is what it takes.
    Good luck with it and have fun.....

5. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

if you have a place that you always hunt you can measure off "landmarks" so that you can judge your yardage better.

6. ACES

ACES Junior Member

yardage

I think most of us are shooting at deer at under 30 yards.

I practice out to 60, but I don't take a shot at a live animal at over 30.
    That is the limit I set for myself.

7. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I been hunting for 24 years and I would not even consider taking a 50 or 60 yard shot at a deer with a bow.... 40 would have to be standing in a wide open field and presenting a perfect shot. The best advice I could give you is to get yourself set up for 30 yard shots and under. If the deer are over 30 yards let em walk they'll be back another day and you'll put more deer in the truck... just my $.02:wave: :wave:

8. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I've shot up to 120 yards successfully, but I don't suggest it. Leave it to the pros. Plus, I use a rangefinder for anything over 100 yards.

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

You forgot to add with a dead calm wind.:tape:

10. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Our family has one good range finder that we bought together. When I set up a new stand I get the range finder and mark different yardages on a note pad or spray paint the number on trees. As far as shooting at deer at 40 50 yards or more your chances of making a bad shot are just to great. :lol: And it really is hard on your bow shooting that far.:lol:

11. Skewtir

Skewtir New Member

Aside from purchasing a rangefinder, what worked for me for a long time, and still does, is when I'm sighting in, shooting at my range, I have pins in the ground. Although, I'm at a known distance, I will visually walk up from pin to pin to the target so that I'm continually having my eyes accustomed to the distance. So once in the 'woods', whether at a shoot or hunting, I can visually walk, in incremements, to my intended target. Like others have said, the more you get out and shoot, the more you're going to have it become second nature...at the very least, it gets you away from all the stress of daily life ;)

12. Shortshaft

Shortshaft Member

We all can't afford two stage arrows. Those come with GPS guidance? :noidea:

13. yetibowtech

yetibowtech Staff Shooter Uncle Bob's

I like to go out and shoot ?

I shoot gophers in the spring and summer. They are so small you have to know the yardage or you miss. I also agree that shooting as many shoots as you can. I sometimes walk around in the woods with the rubber blunts and shoot at what ever looks like it won't kill an arrow. old stump, pine cones, dirt clods, anything like that.

14. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

I got a rangefinder for xmas but for me 11 steps is pretty close to 10 yards, so I would pick out landmarks and such and do the math in my head.

15. ranhat3d

ranhat3d New Member

yardage

A good range finder is a great tool,

Take one to a practice range with you, BUT, first guess your yardage take a shot, then use your rance finder to see how close your yardage judging was without the range finder, then shoot a shot at the same target with the known distance. then practice a lot.

16. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

Ive got one of those rubber tipped blunts as well maybe someone should suggest that to the guy with the stray dog problem in another post...

17. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

That's the ticket.