You won't believe this one

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by STRO, Nov 18, 2007.

1. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I know this is a bowhunting site but I had to share this. I was out gun hunting last night and had two tags. An either sex tag and an antlerless only tag. I was only planning on shooting a buck since I have enough meat in the freezer. However, a friend my wife works with has been begging for me to shoot a deer for them because they love the summer sausage. So a doe walks in and I drop her in her tracks 50 yards away from me and 15 yards from the field edge. 20 minutes after I shoot her a yearling bucks walks up to her and spends the next three hours trying to get her up and beds down next to her. I am thinking this is the best decoy ever. She was obviously a hot doe. It finally gets dard and I climb down the tree with my climber, grab all my gear and walk up to the doe. The buck stands up and just stands there. He would not leave her. I could not spook this buck away. After dragging the doe to the field edge to dress her he continues to stand 12-15 yards away just watching. I honestly think I could have walked right up to him. This was unbelievable. He stood within 15 yards of me for probably 15-20 minutes. When I was dressing the doe out I had the gun right next to me because I was kind of afraid he might charge me. After 20 minutes of this he finally walked off and fed in the picked bean field. I could have easily shot him but he was small and I am only looking for another wallhanger. Gotta love northern Illinois.

2. SinGin

SinGin Banned

The crazy things us guys will do for a little lovin.

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I think I might have tried throwin rocks or sticks at him. I don't think I would have walked up on him especially at this time of year...

4. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

shot a doe one time and a 6 point walked up to her (dead) and tried ta mate with her fer 5 mins
    I was huntin in a WMA and could only harvest one deer it was a bout 55 yrds out
    he got a whif of me and started out then turned back around to her

5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I thought he would have run away when I walked up. I also had my 12 gauge in both hands ready to go. I think that is a pretty good equalizer. I did not know what else to do, he would not leave. If I would have come back the next day, I am sure he would have still been there, and who knows, there may have been more deer around her.

6. SinGin

SinGin Banned

My wife told me she took care of a man yesterday at the hospital she works at that was attacked by a buck. The guy claims the deer attacked him for close to a half hour, but I find that kind of hard to believe. This time of the year a buck will do just about anything.

7. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

Sure do!!!!!

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I believe you. Its that other guy around you have to watch out for.:laugh: :peace: :hug: